Marylaine BlockWriter, Speaker, Webmaster, and Librarian
I do conference presentations on a variety of topics of interest to librarians. Among my presentations are:
- CHANGE ON THE CHEAP: BIG PAYOFFS FROM MODEST INVESTMENTS -- a presentation to the SouthEastern Massachusetts Library System, June 6, 2007, based on research for my recent book, The Thriving Library.
- SOME POSSIBLE FUTURES FOR REFERENCE -- a presentation to the Rhode Island Library Association, June 7, 2007.
- WHAT THRIVING LIBRARIES DO RIGHT -- a presentation to the Rhode Island Library Association, June 7, 2007.
- BEYOND THE BASICS: MAKING THE MOST OF YOUR LIBRARY WEBSITE -- a presentation to the SouthEastern Massachusetts Library System, June 6, 2007.
- NET EFFECTS: HOW LIBRARIANS CAN MANAGE THE UNINTENDED CONSEQUENCES OF THE INTERNET -- a presentation to the Hawaii Library Association, November 11, 2005, based on my book of the same name.
- FIVE GREAT SITES (EACH) FOR PRACTICALLY ANY TOPIC -- a presentation for the River Bend Library System, December 10, 2003.
- SPREADING THE MEME: MARKETING YOUR ORGANIZATION'S LIBRARY -- A presentation for the QuintEssentials Conference in Philadelphia, October 27, 2003
Links to all my presentation outlines are available at http://marylaine.com/handouts.html
I often speak on topics I've discussed in my articles and books. A complete list of my writings on library and information issues is available at http://marylaine.com/resume2.html.
- Best Information on the Web (BIOTN) http://library.sau.edu/bestinfo
The award-winning index I constructed for St. Ambrose University. It is now run by my former colleagues at O'Keefe Library.
- BookBytes http://marylaine.com/bookbyte/index.html
a site on which I post columns I've written about books, annotated reading lists of books for the reluctant reader, links to other book sites, and suggestions on how to find out-of-print books.
- Ex Libris http://marylaine.com/exlibris/index.html
An e-zine for librarians and information junkies.
- Neat New Stuff I Found This Week http://marylaine.com/neatnew.html
In which I select and briefly review a dozen great informational sites each week.
LibrarianUntil I became a full-time writer and speaker, I was Associate Director for Public Services at the O'Keefe Library, St. Ambrose University, where I was responsible for reference service, collection development, bibliographic instruction, and serials management.